Author Topic: PA State Game Land #198 help  (Read 8460 times)

pigboy13

• View Profile
PA State Game Land #198 help
« on: December 10, 2010, 08:26:09 AM »
I have hunted an area of land identified as State Game Land #198 for almost 30 years and other members of my family have hunted it for almost 50 years.  Around or about 3 years ago, our only access to the portion of SGL 198 that we hunt was cut off by the combination of strip mining and windmill roads.  SGL 198 is fairly unique in that it compromises almost 9000 acres and is divided by natural boundaries, it is also unique because it is bordered by a Federal park,an active reservoir, i.e. watershed property, private property, windmill property and the highest and steepest mountains in this area.  What truly makes it unique though, is the inability to access, safely, either by motorized vehicle or walking, almost half of the entire tract of land.  It is unlawful to cross watershed property and Federal National Park property, there are no, and i mean "none", access roads either owned or operated by the PA Game Commission that will give you access within 1.5 to 2 miles of the 4500 acres of 198 that I hunt without having to climb hand over foot up 1.5 miles of steep mountain and rugged snake infested ground or walk 2 miles.  Are they seriously trying to kill people?  Young and active adults would suffer perilously at having to drag a 150 pound deer 2 miles.  I called the land manager for SGL 198 and at first was told, they do not manage 198.  I said it is clearly within your jurisdiction and was told to call another game commission office that handles cambria county.  After making several calls I eventually made it back to my original land manager who said, oh, i guess we do take care of that.  Those and the following conversations, by the way, took place over 3 years from today's date, which is 12/04/2010.  The land manager informed me that there were some gates open to the western side of 198, which would give me another 2 miles plus walk, and that they were "working" on getting access to the other side, but that there was no money.  How can the SGC justify literally closing off almost 4500 acres of state game land, and by closing off I mean making inaccessible.  I have not hunted in 3 years in the state of Pennsylvania and I will never hunt again in the state of Pennsylvania until this is rectified.  The Game commission can find a way to get access to state game lands when its time for logging, by either creating roads or by purchasing easements, why can't they do the same for hunting?  Any help for a resolution to this would be appreciated.

Google
  Web http://www.pennsylvaniaoutdoor.com